Content, as Morgane Surlenet explains, is one of the three basic pillars of SEO on Google, along with technique and popularity. A pillar that has been strengthened in recent years, and content production is now at the heart of the company’s marketing and SEO problems. Thus, the founder of Skribix questions what is relevant content in the eyes of search engines, in 2021.
Evaluate the relevance of the content
For Morgane Surlenet, the first step is to focus content around 3 essential criteria, which are:
- quality: Web writing is a special exercise and its quality is not just editorial, it brings together a set of technical criteria that will affect the referencing of content. Therefore, this content must correspond, on the one hand, to a certain reading context for Internet users, because it must be able to be read on all multimedia media. On the other hand, it has to answer what the search engine can analyze, and that is simplicity of expression and short sentences.
- Completeness: more and more, the search engine will look for content whose completeness is calibrated. Therefore, he prefers short content rather than long, because information density and relevance are more important.
- originality: this criterion indicates both the level of authenticity and freshness of the content. This means that the newer the news, the better the referencing will be.
Then, still in this search for relevance, key to SEO, keyword selection is key. It must be determined by what you want to express, not necessarily by the volume of the keyword search. According to Morgane Surlenet, the Google Search Console is an essential and underused tool, which lists keywords that some SEO tools do not display.
Understanding user intent
The second step is to focus on the intention of the user. Indeed, in order to know what the browser expects to respond to a request, it is necessary to identify the intention of the user. As Morgane Surlenet reminds us, this does not mean what a user enters in the search bar, but what Google has chosen to highlight during a search based on a particular keyword.
3 criteria must be met to understand the intention of the user:
- SERP type: from the selected keyword it is necessary to analyze the proposed SERP (is it commercial or rather editorial content?).
- Subject: it is necessary to identify the real topic under this SERP, including asking fundamental questions such as “how”, “why”, “what are”.
- Type of response (substance and form): of which content types the SERP consists of.
Regarding this last point, Morgane Surlenet reminds that textual content is not the answer at all, so that according to SERP, video content or podcasts could be more appropriate.
Deconstruct certain received ideas
Another essential and fundamental approach, according to the founder of Skribix: reconsideration of certain received ideas. Thus, it identifies 3 prejudices that must be separated:
- To generate traffic you need to write a long text: depending on the requirements, long content can quickly become unreadable.
- Original content is text that is not duplicated: if this received idea is wrong today, it seems important to qualify it, Google is working on content detection algorithms that provide more information than others to counter the AI that automatically generates content.
- Semantic optimization consists of using the semantic field of the subject: Morgan Surlenet thus wants to emphasize the difference between semantics (which belongs to linguistics, semantics studies the different meanings of words and languages) and the semantic web (a term invented by Tim Berners-Lee to denote the Wide Web Consortium’s extension of the standardized web). These standards encourage the use of standardized web formats and exchange protocols, such as title or description labels. Therefore, it is useless to add a semantic word field to the content.
To conclude, the speaker shares its vision of the future of web content around 3 main axes: semantic tagging, structured data, and named entities. While the expectations of Internet users and search engines are finally overlapping, writing web content strives for better quality and more information.