Whether you are a resident or a cross-border worker, you can get government financial aid for your children’s higher education. What are the terms of the grant? How and when to apply?
The Luxembourg state provides various assistance to students, whether they are Luxembourgers, foreigners or children of cross-border workers. This aid can be study grants, mobility grants, student loans, partial reimbursement of registration fees, etc. What are the award conditions, what are the amounts and how to get these aids?
Who can get financial aid (AideFi) for studies?
Anyone registered as full-time or part-time student in the cycle of studies aboutHigher education :
- It must be a graduate cycle (1ahem cycle 2Th cycle, research educational cycle)
- The study cycle must provide a diploma, degree or degree higher education
- The study cycle must be part of the higher education system the country in which the title is awarded.
What are the prerequisites for residents?
Recipient based in Luxembourg have to:
- a flat Luxembourg national or a family member of a Luxembourg national resident in Luxembourg; Where
- a flat a national of another member state of the European Union (EU) or one of the other states that are parties to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA) or the Swiss Confederation and:
- live in Luxembourg as a worker (including self-employed persons and pensioners) or be a family member of the person mentioned above; Where
- they acquired the right of permanent residence; Where
- they have political refugee status in Luxembourg; Where
- a flat a national of a third country or stateless and:
- have got used to actually from the Republic of Luxembourg less than 5 years (or you obtained the status of a person with a long-term residence before submitting 1D a request); a
- hold a Luxembourg school leaving certificate or diploma or a diploma recognized as equivalent to a Luxembourg diploma.
Note: A student who lives in Luxembourg as part of his studies and who earns less than the minimum social wage is considered a non-resident.
Note: Approved internships do not qualify you for AIdeFi.
What are the prerequisites for non-residents?
Recipient not local, cross-country have to:
- a flat worker (including the self-employed), a Luxembourg national or a national of the EU or another EEA state or the Swiss Confederation, employed or carrying out his activity in Luxembourg at the time of applying to AideFi for higher education; Where
- be a recipient of an orphan’s pension from Luxembourg, a Luxembourg national or a national of the EU or another EEA state or the Swiss Confederation; Where
- to be a a worker’s childa Luxembourg national or a national of the EU or another EEA state or the Swiss Confederation, contributing to student nutrition a employed or carrying out his activity in Luxembourg at the time of the student’s application for AideFi for higher studies, a provided that that:
- the parent was affiliated in the Common Center of Social Security (CCSS) during the cumulative period at least 5 years during the reference period of 10 yearsbefore the request; Where
- the parent was affiliated with the CCSS for the cumulative period at least 10 years at the time of application ; Where
- the student is enrolled in min 5 years of cumulative study :
- in a public or private establishment established in Luxembourg which provides primary education, secondary education or initial vocational training; Where
- in “Deutsch-Luxemburgisches Schengen-Lyzeum Perl”; Where
- in a study program offered by the University of Luxembourg leading to a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree or a diploma of specialized studies in medicine; Where
- in a study program that leads to obtaining a higher technical certificate and is accredited by the Minister; Where
- in an accredited study program of a foreign higher education institution based in Luxembourg and accredited by the minister; Where
- the student has with legal residence in Luxembourg for the cumulative period at least 5 years at the time of application.
- the periods during which the person worked for a European or international institution based in Luxembourg and/or received a pension, annuity or unemployment benefit from the state are counted as the necessary minimum duration;
- a child who is part of a household in which the parent’s spouse or partner meets the above conditions is also included;
- a student who stays in Luxembourg mainly as part of his studies and whose total annual income does not exceed the minimum social wage for unqualified employees is considered a student without permanent residence;
- approved internships are not paid activities but essentially educational activities and do not qualify for AideFi.
What are the first steps non-residents must take?
For non-resident studentsAideFi is a substitute aid. Before applying, these students must take all the necessary steps in their country of residence to receive financial aid for their studies.
Attention : the student must respect Dates listing the request in your Country of permanent residence.
The official answer, yes or no, for the current academic year must be attached to the AideFi Luxembourg application or provided later. Certificates stating administrative reasons for refusal are not accepted. Certificates must be for the relevant academic year and are renewed each year.
In the absence of an official response from the competent authorities in the applicant’s country of residence, AideFi cannot be granted.
Competent authorities for neighboring countries:
- France :
- Regional council (for education in health and social care).
The time limit they are in absolutely respect.
Every request sent outside the specified deadlines is Rejected.
A ask for help is to be introduced for each semester even if the student is registered annually.
The application must be submitted:
- for November 30 for the winter semester: application is available from 1ahem workday the month of August;
- for April 30 for the summer semester: the application is available from 1ahem workday the month of January.
What is the amount of AideFi?
AideFi consists of:
- various cumulative scholarships ;
- student loan with interest.
Understand the different exchanges
The scholarship categories are as follows:
- basic scholarship :
- awarded to all eligible students;
- the amount is set at 1,050 euros per semester;
- mobility grant :
- accessible to eligible students:
- registered in the program higher education outside the state borders of the country of residence the household to which it belongs;
- who prove that they bear the costs of renting accommodation;
- the amount is set at 1,286 euros per semester;
- accessible to eligible students:
- grant based on social criteria :
- is provided to eligible students whose total taxable income of the household to which they belong is less than or equal to 4.5 times the gross amount of the minimum social wage for unskilled workers (SSM);
- them amounts per semester of this scholarship are wobbly as follows:
- income lower than 1 times the SSM: 1,995 euros;
- income from 1 to 1.5 times SSM: 1,682 euros;
- income between 1.5 times and 2 times SSM: 1,391 euros;
- income from 2 to 2.5 times SSM: 1,128 euros;
- income between 2.5 times and 3 times SSM: 866 euros;
- income from 3 to 3.5 times SSM: 603 euros;
- income between 3.5 times and 4.5 times SSM: 288 euros;
- when a student loan application has been madethe difference between the maximum amount of 1,995 euros and the amount granted in the form of a grant is automatically added to the amount of the student loan;
- if a student loan application has been made and the applicant has not applied for a scholarship based on social criteria, the scholarship is automatically added to the amount of the student loan;
- family scholarship :
- accessible if at the same time one or more children from the same household are studying higher education eligible for AideFi;
- awarded in one installment in the summer semester. The amount per semester is set at 262 euros per student. Note that students who do not register for the summer semester can request a reconsideration of the winter semester by sending an e-mail to the case manager.
A an increase of 1000 euros (a scholarship of 500 euros and a loan of 500 euros) can be awarded to a student who is serious and exceptional situationand who he faces extraordinary fees. This increase is authorized by the minister based on a reasoned opinion.
Different scholarship categories are cumulative.
A computational simulator is also available.
How do I apply for AideFi?
The process is carried out online through MyGuichet.lu, it is accessible to everyone.
Online process can be done with or without the LuxTrust product (Smartcard, Token, Signing-Stick) or electronic identity card (eID).
A student can quickly and easily add attachments to ongoing procedures directly from their smartphone or tablet. Here is the application form for the scholarship at Guichet.lu
Students may be reimbursed part of the registration fees and may be granted a loan. Various aids are offered by filling out the form.
Find us at