What is the homeschooling law?
In France, education is compulsory for all children, French and foreign, between the ages of 3 and 16. Parents can choose to send their children to school; or undertakes this instruction himself, provided that this instruction applies only to the children of one and the same family.
New legislation confirming respect for the principles of the republic (Law No. 2021-1109 of August 24, 2021) will tighten access to this method of education from the beginning of the 2022 school year, knowing that the official goal remains to enable the child to acquire specific knowledge and skills. Raising a child in a family becomes derogatory and controls designed to measure children’s learning will be strengthened.
Mark : families whose child was educated at home in 2021 will be able to use the moratorium until 2023-2024, provided they confirm the inspection carried out by the Academic Inspectorate.
>> Our service – Discover all our insurance comparisons (health, car, home, funeral, etc.)
How is home education monitored?
Controls that are already effective are carried out:
- at the municipal level at the initiative of the mayor from the 1st year, then every 2 years until the child turns 16;
- and on the initiative of the academic directors of the national education services (Dasen).
In case of disagreement with the pedagogical control, Dasen can report this event to the public prosecutor.
What is the purpose of the checks?
Individually, the controls to which students are exposed are intended to ensure that they acquire the knowledge (common ground) and necessary skills. They are led by the academy inspector, possibly assisted by a school psychologist. If the acquired skills are insufficient, a second check is made. If the result of the second check is still insufficient, Dasen can demand that the child be enrolled in school within fourteen days. In case of refusal, the perpetrators face imprisonment for 6 months and a fine of 7,500 euros.
Mark : Pupils who successfully pass the tests will automatically be granted authorization for the school years 2022-2023 and 2023-2024.
>> Read also – Tutoring: Who to call? What reward?
Who Can Homeschool?
Before the start of the school year in September 2022, families will have to make a statement to the mayor of their municipality and Dasen to inform him. This declaration must be renewed every year. If this instruction is not sent to the mayor and Dasen, the offending families will face a fine of 1,500 euros.
The (written) declaration must contain the following information:
- Surname, first name, date of birth and address of the child.
- Surname, first name and address of the child’s parents.
- Address where instructions are given if different from residential address.
What are the reasons for homeschooling?
Based on this parental declaration, Dasen will issue a permit provided that one of the following 4 reasons is met:
- The child’s health condition or disability does not allow him to be educated in a classical institution.
- Practicing intense sports or artistic activities.
- Family homelessness that will move a child out of any public school.
- The existence of a situation specific to the child, which motivates a specific educational project, provided that the persons responsible for his education justify their ability to provide teaching in the family. No special diploma is required to provide teaching. The chosen approach and teaching methods must be submitted to the inspector responsible for the inspection.
In practice, the request for authorization must contain a written submission of the educational project, as well as documents justifying the ability to carry out education in the family. It is granted for the period of the school year at the most, if it does not result from the child’s health condition or medical handicap.
Parents who have been convicted by a criminal judge or who are registered on the national sex or violent offender register cannot be responsible for family investigations.
Good to know : failure to respond by the academic director within two months of the request for authorization will constitute an admission decision.
Can I get financial aid?
People with at least 2 dependent children under the age of 20 who are being educated at home are entitled to family allowances. These allowances are paid monthly and are adjusted according to resources, the number of dependent children and their age.
On the other hand, home education does not qualify for Back to School Allowance (ARS). If some children cannot be enrolled in school, they will be enrolled free of charge in the National Center for Distance Education (Cned) after consultation with Dasen.
Homeschoolers are eligible for college and high school scholarships.
Social fund for high school students: Who can benefit from it? And how ?
Get our latest news
Every day, a selection of Main information day.