Stop saying UCA for the University of the Côte d’Azur… “We’re going to find another shortcut. This one was used the day before at the University of Clermont-Auvergne,” smiles President Jeanick Brisswalter. University President “research-intensive, responsible and humanistic”. And until “strong international influence”. With originality. He knows how to break down walls. “We are interested in interdisciplinary excellence. We work on interfaces”, says Jeanick Brisswalter.
An example is the Covid crisis. “We clearly saw that this is a topic that is addressed through the prism of health, but also economic. And psychological. We will continue to strengthen interdisciplinarity.” Another strong focus for this year 2022-2023: “Employability of our students.”
Some big projects:
– Leaving the status of an experimental facility:
IDEX – for INitiative d’Excellence – could only be permanent “if and only if the university were to break out of the status of an experimental public institution”. It will happen in 2023. “We hope to be a large facility [un autre statut, NDLR]”, explains Jeanick Brisswalter. it is a “to continue to be the university of the 21st century…” (1)
– “Finalizing the Parcoursup report”, Stéphane Azoulay, Vice President of Training. “We had a 16% increase in requests. And a 30% increase in the first intention confirmed the wishes, this testifies to our attractiveness”. he explained. And always the same formations in tension: Law, Staps and psycho.
Passes are over! “We develop in all LAS”, says Stéphane Azoulay. “It’s a bit of a national movement responding to studies on the impact of reform.” health studies. (2)
– Health section: access to care will be developed in all campuses. “We already opened the health center last March in Saint-Jean-d’Angély. Now we can make appointments on Doctolib”explains Laëtitia Cochin, vice president of “Student Life”.
– Social component: this year’s novelty with the possibility for students to get emergency accommodation for a few days. The system is being completed thanks to an agreement with the youth hostel.
“We will not touch training and research”, assures Jeanick Brisswalter. Understand: no extended holidays this winter because Strasbourg decided to save on energy bills. “We estimated additional expenses in our budget at 3 million”, says the president. But, “It shouldn’t affect students”. A working group is created to find solutions to reduce the bill.
1. Being an experimental establishment has allowed the Université Côte d’Azur to take certain liberties in terms of autonomy and audacity, such as the Department of Training, Research and Innovation. And use the potential of the 18 members that make up the Université Côte d’Azur.
2. PASS is a specific approach to health, of which health education is the most important. LAS is a health access license that makes the option of health insurance irrelevant.